It’s a common misconception that you can’t play your Xbox on anything other than a television. In reality, there are many ways to get your console up and running without spending too much money or taking up too much space.
This article will explore some of the best methods for setting this up so that you can have a great gaming experience while saving time and money! Let’s explore the possibilities below.
We’ll teach you how to use the laptop as a monitor for Xbox (or even PC/Mac/Smartphone).
Using A Cable To Connect Your Laptop To Your Console
One of the most basic ways to set up your Xbox is through a cable connection. This works best if you have either an HDMI or VGA port on your laptop and an available input on your television.
You will need an HDMI or VGA cable for this, along with some adapter that lets you switch between the two inputs efficiently, such as a KVM switch.
Overall, it’s one of the more straightforward methods to try. Just remember that once you go back to using your TV, you will have to switch back to your laptop to continue using it.
However, if you don’t want to use a cable connection, the following two options allow you to stream your games straight from your Xbox to your computer!
How To Use Laptop As Monitor For Xbox Using The Xbox Smartglass App
One of the best ways to play your Xbox on a different screen is through Microsoft’s very own Xbox SmartGlass app. This app is free for both iOS and Android devices and works by streaming everything that appears on the console onto whatever device you are using at the time.
All you need is either an iOS or Android device with this app installed and whatever kind of controller suits you best (a wireless Bluetooth one such as a MOGA controller would be ideal).
Once you have everything ready to go, follow these steps:
- Make sure that your Xbox is turned on and that your console and device are both connected to the same wireless network.
- Open up the SmartGlass app and start with signing in (on your device). This will require you to use either a Microsoft account or Xbox Live gamertag. If it’s the former, simply type in whatever email address and password combination that you normally would when using an Xbox; if it’s the latter, sign in using whichever username and password combination that is associated with your account.
- Once all of that has been done, you should be redirected back to the home screen on both devices (that’s your Xbox and your smartphone or tablet).
- If you’re using an iOS device, it should automatically detect that there is something on the console to be streamed; if you’re using an Android device, continue to step five.
- On your phone or tablet, tap to select your Xbox (or gaming PC) from the available connections. It will require password entry; type this in and start streaming!
Using Steam Link
Steam Link works much like SmartGlass for gamers who use a Windows computer as their primary PC and want to stream their games onto another screen (such as a laptop or Chromebook ).
To get started, follow these steps:
- Ensure that both the Xbox and the computer that you are using to play on know the same network.
- On your non-gaming PC or laptop, install Steam Link and log onto your Steam account (this only works if you’re a Steam user).
- Using either your Xbox wireless controller or whatever kind of remote control device suits you best, navigate over to the Steam Link app on your Windows machine. Select “My Computers” from its menu options so that both devices can find each other.
- If all goes well, your Xbox should pop up as an option for streaming; select it and start playing! It’s that easy! You can even use this method combined with our previous one for ultra-convenience (if you don’t mind having to keep your phone on and unlocked the entire time).
If all of that sounds like too much work for whatever reason, it might be worth it to try using Miracast instead.
This allows laptops and tablets to connect wirelessly with other compatible devices to mirror their display or stream media files. We’ll use a Windows laptop as the device trying to communicate with an Xbox for this method. Here’s how:
- Make sure that both your Windows laptop and Xbox know the same network and access point.
- Navigate over to your PC’s settings menu and select “Network & Internet”. Under its “Wireless” section, press the “Add a wireless display” button.
- This will pop up with a list of all available devices that are compatible with Miracast; select Xbox to pair with it. You may need to enter in your Xbox’s password before anything is streamed correctly.
- Now, open up your laptop and make sure that you are logged onto Steam (there should be an icon for it on your taskbar).
- On the main screen, select “Games” from its menu options then pick what game it is that you want to stream over to the console . The game will start streaming directly onto your laptop! Of course, this can be used for much more than just gaming so long as the host device has access to whatever it is that you want to stream.
Do note, though, that Miracast requires a decent amount of wireless bandwidth for things to run smoothly. If your home network doesn’t have much, this may not be possible or reliable enough to use regularly!
Using All Share Cast Pro
While this method takes after both SmartGlass and Steam Link, it works best with Samsung devices (and other similar brands).
To get started, here are the steps:
- Ensure that both your Xbox and Android smartphone know the same networks; make sure that they can connect with each other using Wi-Fi Direct .
- On your phone, install All Share Cast Pro then launch it to start pairing your Xbox. Once connected, you can access all of your phone’s contents by using either the console ‘s SmartGlass app or the Miracast function under Settings .
- This works best with Samsung devices because they are able to connect easily over Wi-Fi Direct; other Android phones may work just as well but this is not guaranteed.
Using Your Phone As A Controller
If you don’t mind forgoing full-screen gaming and would instead like something more interactive than just watching the game on a smaller display, consider hooking up your phone to be used as a controller!
Now, you can do this in one of two ways:
- The first option is to make use of your phone’s screen as a trackpad; simply download and install the official Xbox SmartGlass app and pair them together over Bluetooth. From here, you can either control the game with touch commands or connect some kind of physical controller (Xbox One only).
- The second option is to turn your Android smartphone into an actual controller; this requires using USB OTG cables or wireless adapters so that both devices can be connected at once . After everything has been set up, launch whatever game it is that you want to play on your computer and have fun! Once again though, this method may require some troubleshooting in order for things to work smoothly if they don’t from the get-go.
Of course, some games may not work with a controller, or Who might not map it correctly. For cases like these, you can always try using your keyboard and mouse instead!
When playing Xbox, the best monitor to use is your computer screen! Here’s how:
- On your Windows-based laptop, right click on the desktop then select ” Screen Resolution “. From here, go into the “Multiple Displays” menu and tick “Extend These Displays”. Once done, press “Apply” and see if this works properly. If not, have a little patience because it takes a few seconds for everything to set itself up properly.
- With that out of the way, launch Steam from either your Windows taskbar or Start menu. In here, you should see a “Stream” option from your games library; select to open it and continue with the following steps .
- Now that everything is connected, launch whatever game it is that you want to play on your Xbox but make sure that Steam has launched first! From here, go into either Big Picture Mode or Library , right-click on the game’s tile then pick “Initiate streaming”. This will kick off the process of streaming information to other devices so sit back! Of course, this can be used for much more than just gaming so long as the host device has access to whatever it is that you want to stream.
Note that all devices do not support Miracast; if you’re running into issues with this, consider trying another method instead.
Now, let’s say that you don’t want to use your phone as a controller or you’d like to switch back and forth between games on the TV and the computer screen…how do you go about doing this?
- Start off by launching whatever game it is that you want to play (on Xbox One) while making sure that Steam is not running in the background. Doing so will close out any other programs that could cause interference! Next up , connect your laptop to either an HDMI cable or Miracast dongle then launch Big Picture Mode or Library through Steam . Once everything has been set up properly, simply launch the game again and it should appear on both screens.
- Lastly, if you’d like to play Xbox games through your computer screen instead of using the TV, you’re going to need to download an app called “RX Tools”. From here, simply go into its menu then select “DirectInput Override” followed by “Add Device…”. Finally , choose which controller that you want to use but make sure not to tick all four boxes or else it will interfere with other programs! Do also note that this may not work for every game so have a little patience if this doesn’t do the trick right away.
Of course, some games may require more than just a second monitor, so there are ways around this as well!
- If you are more interested in streaming Xbox games to your computer screen, simply launch the game using Big Picture Mode or Library from within Steam , then hit ” Alt+Tab ” to bring up the standard Windows menu bar. From here, launch whatever app or website you have that will show what’s being displayed on your laptop screen . Finally , press ” Ctrl+Shift+S ” to start broadcasting whatever is being shown on your computer monitor onto this other application/website of yours…simple as that!
- Lastly, if you’re playing an MMORPG or any kind of multiplayer game that requires more than just one monitor, consider downloading Virtual Desktop . This handy little program will allow you to “virtually” extend your desktop onto other monitors to help improve your overall gameplay experience!
All in all, there are quite a few ways on how to use the laptop as a monitor for Xbox (or even PC/Mac/Smartphone). Whether you’d like to stream information, a game with it or make the most of its screen real estate, all it takes is a little bit of tinkering around, and soon enough, you’ll be dominating noobs on Laptop Mode. Have fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox One?
Yes, but it is advised that you use an adapter to power your laptop with a standard three-pronged cord. Laptops are not designed for video transfer over HDMI, so that the connection may be more of a hassle than worth it.
Can I connect my Xbox to my laptop through HDMI?
Would you please open the Xbox app? Select the TV or monitor icon (right next to your device name). From here, you can select what input will plug into your game console on your computer.
Make sure this is enabled, and nothing else is using that input! If there is no HDMI port, another option is to take the wire from the HDMI OUT of this PC / laptop and connect it to an ADAPTER, an available HDMI INPUT port. This should work just as well as connecting directly through a TV.
Can I play my Xbox One on my laptop?
No, the Xbox One system software is not compatible with other devices.
The Xbox One can’t stream games to any other device, but it can output video in 4K resolution! Watching your favourite TV shows on Live from your laptop or large screen TV is better than ever with Xbox One.
Many apps are available through the Store, allowing you to enjoy Netflix, Hulu Plus, and more while offline while still taking advantage of exclusive Watch Later features.
How do I connect my Xbox to my laptop with HDMI Windows 10?
Okay, so the first thing you want to do is plug in your HDMI cord and connect it from your Xbox to an open HDMI port on your laptop. Once you have done that, you will need to adjust the settings on both devices to see each other.
This shouldn’t take too long, and if everything goes well, you will be able to play or watch content from one device onto the other!